Interview | Jennifer Lawrence knew she wanted to do Die My Love from the beginning: ‘It starts with empathy’

by - January 23, 2026


Jennifer Lawrence gives one of her very best performances in the psychological drama Die My Love. It was Martin Scorsese who first thought of Jennifer Lawrence after reading the book by Argentine author Ariana Harwicz. The film's journey began there, as Lawrence knew at once that she wanted to play the central character, Grace- a woman who becomes increasingly unmoored and volatile after giving birth to her first child. It was she who suggested Lynne Ramsay direct it.HT sat down for an online roundtable interaction with the Academy Award-winning star, who spoke about playing this woman in all her abandon and fury, and collaborating with co-star Robert Pattinson.

‘None of the consequences are real!’Lawrence holds the film from the first scene itself, infusing it with a fierce unpredictability. Her Grace goes through some extreme emotions in the film. As an actor, was there any entry point for her to channel them on screen? How were those days on set, collaborating with Lynne?

She says, “On the day, it is normally about channelling adrenaline. It starts with empathy, imagining what the person is going through. Putting myself in Grace's shoes and taking myself out. The great part about my job is that I get to call up these emotions and get carried away, and when they call, ‘Cut!’ none of the consequences are real! I just walk walk away with a little bit of a high (laughs).”But in Die My Love, she is not just an actor but also a producer. Lawrence explains that she is not so sure if those two roles can be segregated in this instance. “I was a producer in the sense that I brought the book to Lynne and connected her to the project,” she says. “I think it was a decision of me being excited to make this happen. So yes for me it was like a ‘chicken or an egg who came first’ kind of a situation truly. I wanted to make it and I wanted to be in it (smiles) and it was a simultaneous decision.”


You May Also Like

0 Comments